skip to Main Content

I know that this post is a little late, but I would like to share with you (and for my memories) our 2018 year in review.  The year started off rough, but ended with something amazing! I hope everyone had a great 2018 and I hope you enjoy reading about our little family.

Family New Year's Picture

New Year’s Eve

We rang in 2018 with a family party at our house.  My family always gets together for New Year’s Eve and we have hosted the party for the last few years.  

We were missing some very important people for New Year’s Eve this year. My Grandpa was in the hospital in Boise and my Grandma was staying there with him.  It made the evening seem a little strange, but everyone had a good time as we welcomed in the New Year.

Papa Linton

My Grandpa went to the hospital a few days after his 79th birthday.  The doctors thought that he had pneumonia and they put him on a ventilator and  antibiotics. They told our family that his outlook was grim.  My amazing Grandma spent most of her time at the hospital with him, and we tried to visit often. My Grandpa continued to fight and was given a tracheotomy to improve his chances of recovery.   Because my Grandpa had a tracheotomy, he was not able to stay in Pocatello any longer. The closest options for him were Boise or Ogden. I have 2 cousins that live in Boise, so my Grandma chose to take him there.

Papa was transported to Boise shortly before Christmas and my Grandma continued to be by his side.  He started making great improvements. He began sitting on the edge of the bed and seemed to be doing much better.  

On Sunday, January 21, 2018 I received a phone call from my Dad letting me know that Grandpa was septic and they were going to take him off of support.  This came as a shock to us, as we thought he was getting better. We decided not to make the drive to Boise to say goodbye, my Dad had just seen him the weekend before and we didn’t want to let him suffer while he waited for us.  My Dad called me again a few hours later, to inform me that my Papa had passed.

I had not dealt with a death of a Grandparent in almost 10 years and took this one pretty hard.  A lot of our childhood was spent at my Grandparent’s house and I am grateful for the memories I have of my Papa. He was so proud of his garden and did not like to accept help to take care of it. He planted dozens of tomato plants each year and we always get together at the end of the summer to do tomato juice.  We have a good system in place and I know that my Papa would be proud of the garden we planted. Papa will always hold a special place in my heart, and I am so thankful that my daughter was able to get to know her “other” Papa Willie.


In our little family, summers are for softball and winters are for racquetball.  My husband plays racquetball and he especially likes to play in Montana.
The people there are awesome and my daughter and I love watching him play.  

We usually travel about 3 to 6 hours a few times a year so that Mikey can play in tournaments. We have fun as a family and it’s nice to just get away for a weekend.

Mikey’s Grandpa

My husband’s Grandpa relocated to Pocatello from Butte in 2017 so that he could be closer to my Mother-in-Law.  He was living in a nice, small nursing home close to us and the in-laws. Sadly, he passed away on March 10, 2018.  It was really sad losing both of our Grandpas within such a short period of time. We were able to celebrate his life during the summer and it was nice to get to meet more of my husband’s family and celebrate the life of his Grandpa.

Dance Competitions

Addison has been dancing since she was 2, and this year was her first year as a team dancer.  This meant traveling for competitions and more performances than in previous years. Her team, the Mighty Mites, participated in 4 competitions from February to April.

Addi loves performing and being on stage. Watching her brought tears to my eyes many times and she definitely makes me so proud. Even though we watched the same dances each time, we loved watching the girls dance and improve with every competition.


Due to a lack of coaches, I ended up coaching Addi’s t-ball team this year and had an absolute blast!  I have been playing softball since I was 5 and still play.

I had a team of 8 kids, including my daughter and it was so fun to watch them improve over the season.  We had a few girls that had never played before and by the end of the season no one was using the tee. It is an awesome feeling knowing that I have been able to teach these kids something that I love.

May Work Issue

At the beginning of May, my work life changed drastically.  My boss suffered a brain aneurysm during a conference in St. Louis.  She was extremely lucky to be where she was, and the great staff at the hospital were able to identify and fix the problem.  The Mayor put me in charge of the office and this meant that I was the acting Chief Financial Officer for our City.

During the first few weeks, we were not sure if my boss was going to return or in what capacity.  This time was very stressful for me and greatly affected my health.

Around the middle of May, I started breaking out in hives.  I had no idea what was going on, but thought that it could be due to stress. I went to the doctor and they told me that stress wasn’t the cause, but they were never able to figure out what was wrong.  They put me on loads of antihistamines and steroids. My body started randomly swelling and I was absolutely miserable.

Towards the end of June, I woke up with extreme pain in my right shoulder.  I went to the doctor and they told me that I had tendinitis and just needed to rest it and then do exercises to get it better. Two days later, I had zero movement in my right shoulder. My shoulder became completely frozen!  I was put in a sling and given some wimpy pain medication. Trying to get sleep became almost impossible and I was in excruciating pain. I was in a sling for about a week before I was able to regain some movement in my shoulder. Looking back, I realized that I had suffered a Hashimoto’s flare which caused my hives and my frozen shoulder.

I have been trying since May to get my thyroid back under control and am just now beginning to feel better.  The doctors here have not been able to diagnose me with anything other than Hashimoto’s even after numerous tests.  One of the joys of living in a small city. This experience taught me that I need to listen to my body and find better ways to deal with my stress.  I’m still working on this.

Addi’s Birthday

Addi chose a Trolls theme for her 7th birthday party this year.  She had her party at Geronimo’s (a local trampoline park) and it was a blast!

She had lots of friends attend and was so happy with the gifts she received. I cannot believe that my baby is 7 already!


My husband and I play a lot of softball during the summer.  I played on 2 teams and he played on 3 teams this year.

We also played in a few tournaments. Most of our summer was spent outside at the ball field. My daughter loves going to the ball field, she has pretty much been raised there and has made lots of little softball friends.

I need this for spacing.


Addi has played soccer for the last few years and we love watching her!  

Her skills really improved this year and I enjoyed watching things start to “click” for her.  She scored at least once in every game and pushed herself to become better.


This year for Halloween, Addison chose to be Pennywise from IT.  She had seen previews for the movie on TV, and they freaked her out.  We thought she would change her mind as Halloween got closer, we were wrong.  Trying to find an inexpensive Pennywise costume for a 7 year old was almost impossible.  I decided to make her costume myself and of course waited until the last minute to do so.  I found a clown costume pattern and made some adjustments to make it look more like Pennywise.  The end result was awesome!

Addi had such a great time trick-or-treating that night and almost everyone that we walked by commented on her costume.

Disney on Ice

In November, Addison and I joined some of my friends from high school for a “girls only” Disney on Ice adventure. Three of us went down the night before and stayed in a hotel room with our daughters. All of the girls are around the same age and they had a blast swimming and getting to know each other.

Disney on Ice was in Salt Lake City, which is about a 3 hour drive for us. Our seats were great and we had so much fun! I am hoping that we can make this an annual event, at least while the girls are young.


Addison’s biological father and I separated shortly after her first birthday.  Mikey and I started dating when Addi was almost two and a half. He has been a father figure in her life since then.  A few years ago Addison’s biological father left the state and we didn’t hear from him for almost two years. We decided that it would be in Addison’s best interest for Mikey to adopt her.  

Our adoption process seemed to take forever (it was only about 4 months), but we finally finished the process on December 11, 2018. Addi was so excited for Mikey to be her Dad (legally) and it was a great to have the support of our families there.


Christmas is my most favorite holiday!  I love the “feeling” that Christmas brings, and look forward to it every year. I was really sick this Christmas, but it ended up being a great day spent with family.  Our Christmas day starts early. We wake up at about 6:30 in the morning to see what Santa brought and to open presents.  This year Addi got the LOL Surprise House and was so excited to find out what surprises came with it.

We headed over to my Dad’s at 7:30 to open presents from him and the siblings.  We all were spoiled, and Addi got a Jeep, horse trailer, and horse for her American Girl doll. She had to get those out of their boxes immediately and couldn’t wait to take them home to play with them.  The whole family then ventured out to my Grandma’s house to have breakfast and open more presents. Breakfast is always amazing and we usually leave needing a nap. Instead of napping, we went over to Mikey’s parents house to open presents with them.

We finally made it home about 2:30 and we were able to rest for a bit before we started preparing for dinner.  We had Christmas dinner at our house and my family and Mikey’s joined us. My Dad made 2 hams and we had tons of food.  We all got stuffed again and I was so glad that I had taken the day after Christmas off.

Even though the year started with some hard things, it was a great year for us.  We were able to spend a lot of time together as a family and made many memories. I hope that this year brings many more fun memories and time spent watching Addi learn and grow.

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

four × four =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: